Using internet today is like breathing air. While you cannot see it around, it is of outmost importance for the proper function of everyday activities.
f course the seafaring profession does not remain unaffected, as the increasing digitalization onboard, provide many benefits, as well as drawbacks.
- Banking, bills, and shopping: The Internet provides access to your bank account to view the balance, make transactions, and send money.
- Communication with loved ones: Emergencies at home can be immediately communicated onboard, and seafarers do not have to wait till the end of the day to make a satellite call.
- Entertainment: The Internet gives everyone access to an endless supply of entertainment, with access to watch videos, watch movies, listen to music, and even play games online.
- Address, mapping, and contact information: With the help of GPS technology, the Internet helps map and direct you to almost every place in the world.
- Quick reference to new regulations: While most of these are communicated by in house company circulars, more information can be easily obtained by visiting relevant websites.
- Rest Hours: Unrestricted and round the clock internet access brings the urge to use the facility unnecessarily.
- 2. Distraction: Several times seafarers get distracted in their work due to excessive use of internet.
- Offensive Posts: There is an increasing tendency among seafarers to vent out their frustration.
- Internet Piracy: Internet is filling each day more and more with cyber-security traps, and seafarers must be careful in order to ensure their online safety.
- Bridge Watchkeeping: The Master needs to make it absolutely that none of the bridge equipment technology should interfere with watchkeeping.