According to a recent PwC research, new technologies threaten around 40% of existing US jobs, and two-thirds of jobs in the developing world.
8 Skills to survive the automation skills market
- AI/Machine Learning: Statistical modelling/computer science background, experience in creating models using R or Python. R and Python; the two most popular programming languages used by data analysts and data scientists. A LinkedIn report finds AI skills among the fastest-growing on LinkedIn. Specifically, the number of LinkedIn members adding expertise in areas like neural networks, deep learning, and machine learning increased 190% from 2015-2017.
- RPA (robotic process automation) skills: Experience with any of the popular RPA vendors such as Automation Anywhere, UIPath. RPA takes away mainly physical tasks that don’t need knowledge, understanding, or insight—the tasks that can be done by codifying rules and instructing the computer or the software to act.
- Cloud: Experience in developing applications on the cloud (AWS/google/Azure)
- Vendor Tools & Products: Development or implementation of vendor tools that clients currently use or are talking about (e.g. Mantas, Actimize, SAS, FircoSoft, Pega, Salesforce etc.)
- Management Analysis: Assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of current and potential processes. Robots may acquire analytical and mathematical skills, but leadership and managerial roles cannot be replaced by them; they require human skills.
- Complex Problem Solvingand Creativity: According to the World Economic Forum, the ability to see relationships between industries and craft creative solutions to problems that are yet to appear is of high importance.
- Emotional Intelligence: The ability to monitor one's own and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different emotions and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior. Emotional intelligence also reflects abilities to join intelligence, empathy and emotions to enhance thought and understanding of interpersonal dynamics. This ability will be essential for hiring the managements of the future.
- Cognitive Flexibility:The ability to switch between different personas to accommodate the emerging challenges.
Automation offers an abundance of opportunities for people to learn new skills. To benefit and thrive in this era, individuals must be open to possibilities and cultivate the ability to not only accept but also embrace change.
If someone gives you an amazing opportunity and you are not sure you can do it, say yes and then learn how to do it later!
- Richard Branson