Recreation is an important ‘consideration’ for MLC 2006, for positively affecting seafarers’ mental health and acting as quite effective team bonding tool. With many crews remaining onboard beyond their contract limits amid the ongoing crisis, we gathered some shared activities that make every day routine of crews onboard a bit happier!
Even if life onboard a ship is quite different from life ashore, there are some activities you can integrate to your routine to feel more connected with your mates or yourself:
- Play board games: Cards, chess, billiard, backgammon are available choices for relaxing time with others.
- Arrange a sports day: What is better for mood and body than a Sunday basketball game with your mates?
- Play Ping-Pong: We love social sports that keep our brain sharp. Plus benefit: It improves reflexes.
- Sing karaoke: Did you know that karaoke activates emotional and psychological neurons of your brain?
- Watch films and sports games: Watching a film with others multiplies its value and provokes all kinds of emotions.
- Listen to music: Quite simple to do, but it elevates mood, removes anxiety and makes you happier.
- Arrange a get-together-event: A party is the perfect chance for interacting free of everyday stress.
- Play video games: A shared activity with multiple cognitive and team bonding benefits.
- Go to the gym: With company or not, some exercise reduces depression and improves sense of wellbeing.