Namely, the new information focuses on the following four items:
1. Application of Fire fighter's communication (SOLAS II-2/Reg.10.10.4)
- A minimum of two two-way portable radiotelephone apparatus for each fire party for fire-fighter's communication should be carried on board. Those apparatus should be of an explosion-proof type or intrinsically safe;
- Ships constructed on or after 1 July 2014 should comply with the above requirements;
- Ships constructed before 1 July 2014 should comply with the above requirements not later than the first survey after 1 July 2018.
2. Stored location
Two way portable radio apparatus for fire fighter's communication is to be stored in the same easily accessible location of the fire fighter's outfit. When more than one set of personal equipment is carried, they should be stored in widely separated positions.
The apparatus may have a coloured housing to distinguish the radio from other radios on board used either for normal operations and emergency use such as portable GMDSS, VHFs, which are typically yellow or orange.
4. Standard reference and criteria
As guidelines for the apparatus, the following standards, among others, should be referred to:
- IEC 60079-0:2017 Explosive atmospheres - Part 0: Equipment - General requirements;
- IEC 60079-11:2011 Explosive atmospheres - Part 11: Equipment protection by intrinsic safety "i";
- IEC 60945 Maritime navigation and radio communication equipment and systems
- General requirements - Methods of testing and required test results;
- Radio Equipment Directive (RED) 2014/53/EU;
- ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU;
- UL 913 Standard for Intrinsically Safe Apparatus and Associated Apparatus for Use in Class I, II, and III, Division 1, Hazardous (Classified) Locations, as amended.
For further details click the PDF herebelow