The UK MCA issued a Marine Note, summarizing the changes to current MCA education and training requirements for obtaining a UK Certificate of Competency.
Among others, the publication introduces further changes to the SQA OOW written examinations requirement for Overseas Collaborative Programmes (1+1) route under section 2.1 and revisions to the approved programme timescale for reduced seagoing service listed under section 2.2.
After reviewing the current processes and procedures for obtaining a UK Certificate of Competency, the MCA has decided that the following changes should be made:
- A change in requirements to be met by Deck cadets applying through the ‘Overseas Collaborative Programme’ prior to the issue of their first and any subsequent Notice of Eligibility (NOE)
- The completion of an education programme and reduced seagoing service within an approved programme timescale (for Deck and Engineering cadets)
- The removal of the 7 year time restriction on using your MCA-approved academic qualification to obtain a UK CoC
- Clarification that there is no requirement to hold an NOE prior to undertaking an MCAapproved Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) or International Association of Maritime Institutions (IAMI) written examination
- New requirements for non-UK CoCs being converted to a UK CoC prior to the issue of a Notice of Eligibility (NOE)
- Standardisation of the nautical college letter for Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) cadets.
Explore further details herebelow: