- The total number of reports has increased by more than 10% year-on-year (516 in 2017 compared to 577 in 2018), due to an increased awareness of hazards.
- There was a sharp decrease in the number of Less Serious Marine Casualties (with only one collision in 2018) but an increase in Very Serious Marine Casualties.
- The number of merchant ships under German flag fell in 2018 with only 302 ships now flying the German flag.
- Accidents in the Kiel canal decreased.
- Fewer marine casualties occurred on German-flagged merchant ships and fishing vessels in 2018 than in the two previous years.
- Accidents in the recreational craft sector have been falling for years. 2018 is historically low with only one fatal incident in this category.
Explore more herebelow: