The Australian Maritime Safety Authority has released its diversity and inclusion strategy for the years 2023 to 2027.
The maritime sector has traditionally struggled to engage a diverse range of candidates, particularly women and Indigenous peoples. AMSA is working to address the challenges around talent attraction, development and retention. Diversity is one of the sustainability goals set by the UN, and is strongly backed by the IMO and other respected organizations worldwide.
Diversity and Inclusion Priorities
- Reflect the community they serve
- Provide a workplace that is inclusive, safe and values each employee
- Leverage diversity and inclusion data to inform their actions
- Fully committed and accountable leaders who champion diversity and inclusion principles
Their diversity and inclusion success will be achieved through measurable action plans tailored for specific diversity groups. They have already implemented plans to support their goals around gender equity and Indigenous engagement through the AMSA Gender Equity Action Plan and Reconciliation Action Plan.
AMSA is committed to developing and implementing cultural inclusion, LGBTQIA+ and accessibility action plans. Moreover, they recognize that they need to prioritise data collection, analysis and evaluation as a crucial tool for measuring the performance of our diversity and inclusion actions.
- Executive Leadership: An engaged and committed Executive leadership team is crucial for AMSA to progress its diversity and inclusion work.
- Action Plan Sub-Committees: Sub-committees will be created to support the delivery of AMSA’s diversity and inclusion goals. These sub-committees will be responsible for developing, delivering and monitoring their relevant action plan and reporting to the Diversity Working Group.
- Diversity Working Group: The Diversity Working Group provides the oversight of diversity and inclusion activities within the organisation. The Diversity Working Group will have governance over the sub-committees and will have accountability for the delivery of diversity and inclusion activities contained within the action plans.
- Human Resources: The Diversity and Inclusion Officer (who sits within the HR Strategy team) is responsible for advising and supporting the Diversity Working Group to achieve AMSA’s diversity and inclusion commitments. The HR Strategy team is also responsible for providing reporting to the Executive Sponsor who will update the Executive on the status of the actions listed above.
Leave a Reply