Best Practices for a greener shipping industry
The3rd Annual GREEN4SEA Forum, a PRO BONO event, successfullyconcluded on Wednesday 9th of April 2014 in Eugenides Foundation Athens. A unique panel of 22 global experts debated a wide range of issues, covering regulatory update and latest developments in the marine environment regarding air emissions and energy efficiency, green shipping, ballast water management and the use of LNG as a marine fuel.
The event has been well attended byover 520 delegates at the venue representing more than 260 companies/organisations. The event organized bySQE Marine Group and sponsored byABS, Bureau Veritas, Capital Shipmanagement, DNV GL, Dorian LPG, ERMA FIRST ESK Engineering, IHMA, JLMD Ecologic Group, Kyklades Maritime Corporation, Lloyd's Register, OceanKing SA, Propulsion Dynamics, SEAMAR Management SA, SQE MARINE & SQE ACADEMY, TRANSMAR Shipping. Also the event supported by EENMA, Green Award, IFSMA, INTERTANKO, MARTECMA, NAMEPA and WISTA.
During his welcome addressMr. Apostolos Belokas, as the Forum chairman outlined the objectives of this PRO BONO event, including enhancing Maritime Environmental Awareness and promoting Best Practices for a greener industry.
Presentations were given in four sessions as follows:
Session 1 : Air Emissions & Energy Efficiency
- Stamatis Fradelos, ABS,covered latest environmental regulatory developments
- Panos Zachariadis, Atlantic Bulk Carriers, gave a presentation on emissions regulations
- Daniel Kane, Propulsion Dynamics, focused on hull and propeller performance monitoring and analysis
- Panagiotis Giannouls, OceanKing SA, analysed how scrubbers can be a valid option
- Poul Woodall, DFDS A/S, gave his feedback on how to retrofit a scrubber from a shipowner's experience.
Session 2 : Green Shipping Developments
- Stavros Meidanis, Capital Shipmanagement, explained how sustainability can be a strategic choice for shipping companies
- Gilles Longueve, JLMD Ecologic Group, gave a presentation salvage- friendly ships
- Mark Pearson, Angelicoussis Shipping Group, covered issues regarding fuel management
- Nick Milner, The UK P&I Club, focused on eco-issues and presented feedback from the P&I Club
- Marc van de Poel, IHMA, covered issues relevant to EU Regulation and Ship Recycling and analysed what owners should know about HazMat's on board.
- Apostolos Belokas, SAFETY4SEA, gave a presentation on Arctic Shipping developments
Session 3 : Ballast Water Management
- Joseph J.Angelo, INTERTANKO, presented latest developments on Ballast Water Management in the US
- Dr. John Kokarakis, Bureau Veritas, explained the challenges in the selection and installation of a Ballast Treatment System
- Kostantinos Stampedakis, ERMA FIRST, gave a presentation on Ballast Water Treatment
- Markos Vekris, OceanKing SA, analysed the selection criteria and all benefits for timely fitting of a ballast water treatment system
- Henrik Bacher, ELOMATIC, covered issues relevant to the ballast water technology retrofit process.
Session 4 : LNG as a fuel
- Raffaele Piciocchi, ABS, focused his presentation on the use of LNG as a marine fuel
- Panayiotis Mitrou, Lloyd's Register, analysed the LNG bunkering standards and operational procedures
- Alexandros Chiotopoulos, DNV GL, presented how LNG can be a commercially attractive option for bulk carriers
- Jelle Paulusma, Port of Rotterdam, covered issues relevant to latest LNG Bunkerport developments
- Dr. Panagiotis G. Zacharioudakis, OceanFinance Ltd,gave feedback from the COSTA Project regarding LNG for ships in the Mediterranean, Atlantic Ocean and Black Sea.
All sessions ended with a round table discussion and exchange with the audience.
FinallyApostolos Belokas, Forum Chairman thanked the delegates for their participation, the sponsors for their support and the speakers for their excellent presentations and also the organizing team of the event for their contribution towards forum objectives.
All speaker videos will be uploaded on the web within the next week, while you may find more details of the event, view photos or request speaker presentations of the Forum in PDF and DVD at forum's dedicated webpagehttp://www.safety4sea.com/forum/8