The new report focuses on targets that are not likely to be achieved by 2030, as they do not show the same level of progress. Namely, four are the goals which need to be further developed:
- Reduced Inequalities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
"The 2018 Global Opportunity Report highlights innovative private sector solutions that will help us reach the #GlobalGoals in 12 short years."
— Sustainia (@Sustainia) February 2, 2018
Global Opportunity Report emphasizes on these four goals, saying that efforts have to improve, in order for the above mentioned goals to be reached. In fact, environment related issues are the top issues in World Economic Forum’s Global Risks Report 2018, and Oxfam’s Reward Work, while Not Wealth presents the inequality in the world, saying that the richest 1% earned 82% of the wealth generated in 2017.
However, except from the problems presented, the report showcases solutions as well to solve these, which are the following:
- Unlocking land rights using blockchain.
- Enhancing supply chain transparency with blockchain.
- Alternative food sources may provide a solution. Integrating insects in food products can be such a measure.
- Focus must be turned on longevity, refurbishment, and material recovery and reuse.
- Adoption of repowering measures, such as doubling the lifetime of EV batteries in stationary energy storage.
- Using captured CO2 in new materials and products, is important for Climate Action.
- Cooling everything from housing to data centers with energy efficient methods.
- Reducing the shipping industry’s reliance on fossil fuels.
- Rethinking of the design and plastic use.
- Alternative feed sources and innovative close-looped land based systems.
— Bjørn K. Haugland (@BjornKHaugland) February 4, 2018
These solutions represent markets which are possible to expand over the coming years. For example, aquaculture is expected to be a US $220 billion industry by 2022, and companies like FarmInABox are building new sustainable, aquaculture systems. Blockchain will also be a key factor in reducing inequality as it can empower underprivileged citizens.
However, these markets intertwine and can help in more than one goals. Specifically, in order to reduce oil-based plastics addresses Responsible Consumption and Production and Life Below Water with sustainable shipping will improve Climate Action and Life Below Water.
You can find more information about Global Opportunity Report , by clicking the PDF herebelow